Monday, December 22, 2008

Blue Eyed Devil


Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas


#6 book by Lisa Kleypas


Rate 4.5 stars


pages 333


Back Cover:

Meet the Blue-Eyed Devil-His name is Hardy Cates. He's a self-made millionaire who comes from the wrong side of the tracks. He's made enemies on the rough-and-tumble ride to the top of Houston's oil industry. He's got hot blood in his veins. And vengeance on his mind.

Meet the Heiress-She's Haven Travis. Despite her family's money, she refuses to ser out on the path thy've chosen for her. But when Haven marries a man her family disapproves of, her life is set on a new and dangerous course. Two years later, Haven comes home, determined to guard her heart. And Hardy Cates, a family enemy, is the last person she needs darkening her door or serring her soul on fire.


My Thoughts:

This story is gritty, and real. It has high emotional drama and with the subject matter covered in Haven's marriage needs to be told in the first person. It really lets you feel her emotions. I enjoyed the play between Haven and Todd. I like the way, Miss Kleypas doesn't do that thing where one says or does something that the other misunderstands. She gives you the tension and drama in a more realistic way. It's not as formulaic. I also liked that this story keeps moving. It could have gotten bogged down when Haven comes back home, and starts therapy, but doesn't. I was wary of Hardy. (because of the whole Sugar Daddy thing) I was as wary as a Travis would have been, so that helped me also to feel the progression of their relationship. Ikept waiting for him to do something underhanded, in much the same way Gage, Jack and Joe were. But alas, Hardy has grown. I dug him. Being from Texas, I totally got the references and understood in a very real way, the male attitude. I loved when he patted her tush in front of Nick. (and she got miffed) That is such a guy thing, especially an alpha guy, marking his territory. When I wasn't reading this book, (because my family wants to eat meals and stuff!!! ) I was wondering what would happen next. Wondering how this relationship was going to progress, and how were they going to resolve their issues. To me that is the mark of great storytelling, when I think about it, until I can read more. I give it a 4.5 for sure.

No comments: