Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Book Snobs!

Have you ever gone to the bookstore and while browsing the romance section, found yourself being watched by Snooty Book Person X? You know the one, you're scanning the covers with all those glorious pectoral muscles and he/she/them walk by with some large hard cover about some political agenda or some a dry biography about someone really old and crusty! They see what aisle you're in and roll their eyes!


Or worse yet, You meet someone there you know. Someone from church or work, or the PTA! (dun dun dun!) "Oh look! Fancy meeting you here!" "What are you reading? Oh!(eyes widen, look away! ) Isn't that kinda...smutty/trashy/shallow? " Or you meet the Preacher's wife, and she's got some "Raising Kids God's Way" kinda book, or something, and you find your self hiding your paperback with the six-pack cover behind your sweater, or under the magazine!


I get that! I tend to carry a book with me in my purse everywhere I go, and sometimes I forget to take it out when I go to church. (I'll not be doing any reading for fun in there, as that's not what I'm there for...but there my book comes tumbling out of my purse right in front of "Sister (fill in the blank)" I can then feel her sniff, and I can almost hear her lips pursing and her eyebrows rising the her hairline! (You'd think, I just opened up a dime bag, and offered the kindergarten class a joint!) (Which, for the record, I have never done! Just so you know!)


We all have those people. Your's might be a mother-in-law, or Coworker, or even Husband/boyfriend/significant other. So for all of us out there, who read romance. Who insist upon our Happily Ever After, with a little eye candy on the cover. Who don't mind a little nookie described in our books, cuz well, we just do. I offer you the following quiz. Think Cosmo quizes. It is offered to you by Dear Author! For my purposes, I've substituted answer #4, with Mind Your Own Business and you'll see why. It's just my preference and if you don't like it....Mind Your Own Business. (Ha!) Enjoy!!


6 comments:

Desert Rose said...

I haven't had this problem for about a year now, since I bought my sony reader, I take it out to read and everyone thinks wow she is reading something intellegent/fance/scientifical :) cause all they see is a black leather cover LOL I love that I can be reading erotica in a room full of people and nobody would know it! although I usually read crime but still a romance book has to fit in between :)
You should try it, it's GREAT!

Heather D said...

You have been tagged with the bookworm award by me.

heatherreadingromance.blogspot.com

Now its your turn to tag someone else.

Heather D said...

I forgot the s in my url...

heathersreadingromance.blogspot.com

Heather D said...

I fell into the 3 and 4 answer columns with a possible 2. I liked the answers that came with them, but I think I would probably tell most people that I enjoy reading romance novels...the steamier the better and if they don't like it they don't have to talk to me. lol I don't have many problems with it though. Only with people that I don't know very well and then I just look at them and laugh and say to each there own. I am a hopeless romantic!

Rikki said...

How fun! I got 23, but only because I thought I should be somewhat polite, LOL.

retroredux said...

Gosh, why did I feel the need to answer every question with a number 4 response :)
Honestly though, I get some grief, mainly from my DH (who wants me to read his style books), and I give HIM that #4 answer:), but everyone else I'd probably answer "to each his own". Laura