Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hard and Fast


by Erin McCarthy

#5 Borrowed from a Friend or Library


Rated 3 Stars


Back Cover:

An experiment in romance...

New to Charlotte, North Carolina, stock car racing country, graduate student Imogen Wilson meets Ty McCordle, a driver who inexplicably has her pulse racing. After an encounter at the track with a woman whose main goal in life is to marry a driver, Imogen realizes she's hit on the perfect topic for her sociology thesis. If she follows the rules on how to get a man, can she steer her way into the hearts of the drivers and establish their dating--and mating--patterns?


...That's testing the limits of passion.

Although sexy reckless Ty is the ideal test subject, Imogen knows she can't pursue him for the sake of science. Yet he's the one who's chasing after her, and Imogen realizes that she actually wants to be caught. A Southern gentleman like Ty won't disappoint-he will satisfy her curiosity and make all the risks worthwhile.


My Thoughts:

I remember Ty McCordle and Imogen Wilson slightly from Flat Out Sexy. I really liked them both and was really looking forward to reading their story. I LOVE a good mismatched couple story. It's actually one of my favorite plot devices.


For some reason, I just didn't connect with this story, or these characters. We barely get reacquanted with them and by around pg 20 they are aleady fully aroused and speaking in sexual innuendo that is heavy on the sex and light on the innuendo. Then the next day, they are having crazy hot monkey sex (CHMS). Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it felt so quick and so unrealistic. To top it off, the language during CHMS was so graphic to me. I know what oral sex is, and don't want to know every slurp and grunt and how wet/salty/earthy.......everyone is. ya know?! I know that others really dig that, and that's all fine and good, but I found the descriptions of all the CHMS to be too much.


As the plot continues, I found it all to be too fast and too.....I don't know. I just couldn't get invested. Even with the secret Ty was keeping and stuff like that usually endears me to a character. I just couldn't feel invested. None of it felt even remotely realistic to me. Unfortunately for me, as much as I wanted to Love Ty and Imogen, I just didn't.


It was ok for me, but not a keeper. Luckily it was a very quick read. And Thank you Randi, for loaning it to me. That was awfully sweet.



Photobucket

No comments: