Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just the Sexiest Man Alive


by Julie James

Debut Author

Rated 4.5 stars (maybe 5)


Back Cover:


COOL. CALM. COLLECTED.
Nothing fazes Taylor Donovan. In the courtroom she never lets the opposition see her sweat. In her personal life, she never lets any man rattle her–not even her cheating ex-fiancĂ©. So when she’s assigned to coach People’s “Sexiest Man Alive” for his role in his next big legal thriller, she refuses to fall for the Hollywood heartthrob’s charms. Even if he is the Jason Andrews.
CONFIDENT. FAMOUS. IRRESISTIBLE.
Jason Andrews is used to having women fall at his feet. When Taylor Donovan gives him the cold shoulder, he’s thrown for a loop. She’s unlike any other woman he’s ever met: uninterested in the limelight, seemingly immune to his advances, and shockingly capable of saying no to him. She’s the perfect challenge. And the more she rejects him, the more he begins to realize that she may just be his perfect match. . .


My Thoughts:

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I seldom try new authors who haven't been recommended to me by someone I trust. I went out on a limb to find someone (debut author) for the Readers of Romance Fall Reading Challenge. I found Julie James on FantasticFiction. I'm sooo glad I did.


Taylor Donovan was the right mix of confidence and vulnerability. She was forced to mentor Jason Andrews, Hollywood's IT Man for a role in an upcoming movie where he plays a "tough as nails" attorney. Upon first meeting Jason, I don't like him. I mean could he be more of a spoiled brat!!! Luckily, Taylor puts him in his place! Yeeeeaaa! He is at first offended then intrigued, but he pulls the Hollywood card, and gets his way. (Kinda makes me wanna put him in time-out!) It took me a while to warm up to him, because he kept pulling these stunts and getting Taylor in trouble to get his way. I was beginning to wonder if he was redeemable. However, not far into the plot, his Hollywood facade cracks a bit. We meet his best friend Jeremy.


Throughout this book the interplay between Taylor and Jason is witty and sharp. I love how they are sarcastic with each other. We also meet Jason's competition. Scott is a newer actor who feel jealous of Jason and wants to be the new Jason. He figures out who Jason Andrews mystery woman is and starts flirting and trying to "steal" her away. Very Pride and Prejudice. Jason appears to be spoiled and cocky, and ends up being warm and nurturing. Scott appears to be safe and kind and ends up being a real uh...um...jerk! (that's the edited version!!)


There were no sex scenes in this book, and though who doesn't love a good scene, I found that the romance took center stage without the physical stuff. I didn't miss it at all. We know that Jason and Taylor did the deed, but the description wasn't necessary.


I will say that I loved the part where Taylor has the concussion. She's so loopy, and he's being so noble. She imagines making a call to room service. Hysterical!!!!


I know that others have reviewed this more eloquently, but I loved this book. I will definately be trying other books by Julie James.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I'm so glad you liked it - I think it's the best romance (historical or contemp.) that I've read to date in 2009!

Carpoolqueen (formerly known as Beth) said...

Right?! So fun and I just couldn't put it down. I read it in a day! Probably should've put that in the review. oh well. Might just go back and put that in now.....