Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hidden Summit



Hidden Summit by Robyn Carr

4 stars

Reader's of Romance Summer 2012 Book Challenge

Synopsis


Sick of running into her cheery ex-husband and his new wife, Leslie Petruso accepts a job at the Virgin River branch of Haggerty Construction and takes the high road right out of town. Now she's got Paul Haggerty's business running like a well-oiled machine. In fact, things are so busy Paul jumps at the chance to hire an extra set of hands.
Just like Leslie, Conner Danson has been burned by love. But if Leslie was disappointed by her relationship going bad, Conner was decimated. He's got no time for women…although he spends an awful lot of time pretending not to notice Leslie. And she's pretty busy "ignoring" the chemistry between them.

According to Conner and Leslie, they have only one thing in common -- they're done with love. But everyone in Virgin River can see that things are heating up at Haggerty Construction. And as far as Paul Haggerty can tell, the best thing he can do is hang on to his hard hat and watch the sparks fly!

My Thoughts:
I thought this was not the best of the series.  I liked the character progression of Connor and Leslie, but found certain small petty things kind of annoying.  For example, Ms. Carr has some crazy nicknames for her characters.  I mean, really does everyone have to have a nickname?  Ness? Vanni?  Les?!  C'mon give the readers a break,  Anyway, that's a pretty decent pet peeve, but ultimately not a huge deal, just an eye roll everytime.  Good news for Virgin River fans, we get to catch up with many of our old friends there.  More importantly we get to catch up with Dan and Cheryl, who I still think should have gotten their own book.....(sent Ms. Carr some emails, but she refuses to listen to reason.)  Anyway, that was so nice to be able to catch up with them.  Connor is in hiding until he can testify in a murder trial so he is not exactly in witness protection, but ...  So his real name is Danson Connor, so while he is in hiding he goes by Connor Danson.  (I am not kidding!)  If my DA was hiding me for my safety and I was no longer Carpoolqueen but Queen Carpool....well I'd be very afraid. 
Otherwise, I like the characters and liked them together.  We got to meet Nora and her kiddos and Katie and her kiddos.  I figure we will see them both in the near future.  Which is fine with me. 

If you like Virgin River, you'll like this book.  If you haven't read any other Virgin River books yet, start at the beginning.  Trust me on this, you'll thank me later.
Happy Reading!

Photobucket

No comments: