Friday, June 29, 2012

A Night Like This

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

rated 5 stars

Back Cover:

Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is . . . — But she's managing quite well as a governess to three highborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge -- in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or might be a comedy -- no one is sure), and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to remind herself that a governess has no business flirting with a nobleman.

Daniel Smythe-Smith Might be in mortal danger . . .

But that's not going to stop the young earl from falling in love. And when he spies a mysterious woman at his family's annual musicale, he vows to pursue her, even if that means spending his days with a ten-year-old who thinks she's a unicorn. But Daniel has an enemy, one who has vowed to see him dead. And when Anne is thrown into peril, he will stop at nothing to ensure their happy ending . 


My Thoughts:
OK. Let the record show that I love, Julia Quinn.  She can do no wrong, and I sincerely believe that  we may be twins separated at birth except for the age difference....  I get her sense of humor and just love her checkiness.  I have loved her Bridgertons, and her Bevelstokes.  I loved the Smythe-Smiths from afar untill the last 2 books.  Now I love them from close up. I do find that there are many cousins and the names get a little confusing, but I am willing to invest some time in a spreadsheet if need be. 
I love the secondary characters that JQ (that's what I call her, JQ because we are soooo close) puts in her stories.  Everyone is so "fleshed out" and that makes for such a rich cast.  That speaks to me.  I find that I like it better when the H/H have family/friends/pets (anyone really) who adds flavor as a 3rd party.  I like to see the main characters interract with someone other than their main love interest.  In this case, to see Daniel and Anne "hanging" with Sophie, Elizabeth, and Harriet was great.  Those girls reminded me of my 2 girls alot.  There was bickering and long detailed conversations about some random thing.  One of her 3 charges is a budding playwright so we must discuss ad naseum the next play and it's characters, and plot and subplot and motivation and history and ....(you get my drift).  Well, I have 2 budding novelists at home and it never fails that in the car we must discuss what this character will do and why. They even argue about what the character should/would say.  Needless to say, there were moments in this book that had me laughing out loud.   

I love Anne and her genuine affection for her charges and for Daniel.  I love Daniel and his willingness to be silly and his ability to be so warm.  He is someone you want to spend time with. 

JQ is an auto buy for me.  This installment in the Smythe-Smith quartet did not disappoint.  I hope to see Sara's story and Hugh.  Maybe even Sara and Hugh!!!  Hmm?! 

Photobucket

No comments: