Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes.....



I was totally jonesing for a really good cupcake!  I saw a picture online of a red velvet cake and thought!  " I must do this!"  So I searched online for good recipes.  I didn't limit myself to Gluten Free recipes, but found this one that I had to modify. 

I found the original Gluten-full recipe on Simply Scratch.  It's a blog I found last night and the recipe worked so well and her photos are so pretty!  Click Here for the link to her recipe.

So, I made them today, and Mmmm!  You should totally try these!  My pictures aren't anywhere near the quality of others, but here they are



I first sifted the flour, sugar, xantham gum, baking soda, salt and coco powder into the bowl of my stand mixer.  (btw my kitchenaid mixer is from the Lord! It is such a beautiful thing! ) 




Then I added the coco powder.  ( Look Ma, left handed!)

 


Mixed all the dry ingredients with a fork and set it in the mixer with the whisk attachment.
 
Crack 2 eggs in a large measuring cup with a pour spout.   
 
 

 Give them a light whisk!

Add in the buttermilk and vinegar
 



Then add the vanilla extract and the food color.  I used 1-1oz bottle of red. 
 



I then pour all the wet ingredients into the mixer bowl with all the dry and mix well.

I put the batter into the cupcake tin, lined with the snazzy black and white cups (that were on sale for $.99!) 





 While they were baking the frosting debate began.  Cream Cheese or Buttercream?  Buttercream always wins out, because I don't particularly care for cream cheese icing.


So the finished product turned out really great!

 
 
 Then this!

 
 
Let the Nomming begin!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
1 tsp xantham gum
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs (room temp)
1 tbl vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil (original recipe called for 1 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, but I didn't have that and I just couldn't get myself to put that last 1/2 cup oil in)
1 cup butter milk (room temp)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla ext.
1 oz red food color (original recipe called for 2 oz but I only had 1)
 
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Line muffin pan with cupcake papers.  
 
In mixer bowl combine all dry ingredients sifting well and stirring to evenly distribute all the cocoa powder and xantham gum.
 
In another bowl or large glass measuring cup, combine wet ingredients mixing well.  Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well on medium speed. 
 
distribute to cupcake papers, and shake and shimmy to pan to release any bubbles in the batter.
 
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
 
Let cool completely then top with your favorite frosting. 
 
and last but not least, Enjoy! 


No comments: