Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dakota Born


Dakota Born by Debbie Macomber


TBR Pile Resident


Pages 358


Rated 3.5 stars


Back Cover:

Buffalo Valley, North Dakota. Like so many small Midwest towns, it's dying. Stores are boarded up, sidewalks cracked, houses need a coat of paint. But despite all that, there's a spirit of hope here, of defiance. The people still living in buffalo Valley are fighting for their town.

Lyndsay Snyder is a newcomer. She's an outsider, even though she spent childhood vacations here. Now she returns to see the family house again, to explore family secrets and to reevaluate her life.

To her own astonishment, she decides to stay, to accept the vacant position of teacher. Her decision marks a new beginning for Buffalo Valley and for Lyndsay, who discovers in this broken little town the love and purpse she's been seeking.


My thoughts:

Nobody writes community like Debbie Macomber. Her stories are poignant and romantic, but are full of angst and wrought with the realism that honestly I try to escape. I have to read the second in the series because honestly I want to find out what happens. You see when we left off, Bandon and Joanie were still separated, and with the baby on the way... What will happen with Sara and Dennis? Will Calla ever accept that her mom is dating? Will Rachel ever give her heart to Heath and if so, will he be willing to settle down for a regular life without the thrills he's so used to? What will become of Kevin and Jessica now that Kevin has been accepted into Art school. So you see, she sucks you in and gets you emotionally invested in the entire community. Yes, it feels like an episode of your favorite soap opera. so if you like that, then this will be a good book for you. I can't give this book a 5 because I read to escape the stresses of daily life and the drama of negative people and their relationship issues. So when I read Debbie Macomber she puts all that into her stories. I liked it pretty well though and it was a quick read. So I will give her a 3.5 stars. It was good, but not GREAT. I'll probably read the rest, cuz I need to tie up all the lose ends as stated above. So, I'll be tuning in for another episode.

No comments: