Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Call Me Irresistible

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
??? stars

Back Cover:
R.S.V.P. to the most riotous wedding of the year . . .
Lucy Jorik is the daughter of a former president of the United States.
Meg Koranda is the offspring of legends.
One of them is about to marry Mr. Irresistible—Ted Beaudine—the favorite son of Wynette, Texas. The other is not happy about it and is determined to save her friend from a mess of heartache.
But even though Meg knows that breaking up her best friend's wedding is the right thing to do, no one else seems to agree. Faster than Lucy can say "I don't," Meg becomes the most hated woman in town—a town she's stuck in with a dead car, an empty wallet, and a very angry bridegroom. Broke, stranded, and without her famous parents at her back, Meg is sure she can survive on her own wits. What's the worst that can happen? Lose her heart to the one and only Mr. Irresistible? Not likely. Not likely at all.

My Thoughts:
I AM CONFLICTED!!!  I love, LOVE Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I like First Lady, and Lady be Be Good.  Fancy Pants, not so much it was so heavy.  Yes, there were moments of whimsy and fun in it, but overall it was just kinda sad.  I felt some of that here as well.  Sure, I get why everyone is is kinda mad, but the whole book?  I mean noone throughout the entire book was ever her ally.  At every turn, even when they would leave her alone, she would find out that they were all laughing at her behind her back, even those who were main characters in previous books, who had the same thing happen to them in their own story.  I mean it just got me down. 

So, I'm conflicted.  In my opinion it was heavy.  Yes, there were moments of fun, especially on the golf course, but I was so disappointed in Lady Emma especially and Francesca and Tori and Shelby. 
Did I love it? I don't know.  I mean, I kept feeling sad for Meg and Ted too at times, once we finally get a glimpse into his heart.  But I will say, that there were other books I've read that were light and fun, but once I closed the back cover, I didn't think about it again.  This one, is on my mind.  I can't seem to let it go.  I'm thinking about every part of Ted and Meg's journey.  How, I'd feel if I had $15.00 to my name and had to shop at the resale shop to find out everyone in town knew where I'd gotten my clothes and who had donated them. That all these catty women laughing at me, to my face and behind my back, even the 2-3 who seemed like they were friendly to my cause.  How many times does she have to be knocked down?  To find out that she had no one.  That even the man who is sleeping with her, has been doing the little things all along the way to knock my feet out from under me to these same women.  And she keeps trying to rescue him! 

The scene at the luncheon, where she sees his declaration as something meaningful.  She tries to rescue him again, and then later finds out that it never was a real declaration and that he was never in need of her rescue and that all those women were growing in there dislike of her instead of giving her a chance.  I mean it was so painful to me.  Everyone kept getting so much pleasure from her pain, to the point of trying to cause her pain.  I mean really. Lady Emma, Torie and the others expecting her to prostitute herself to a gross snarky, name dropper for the sake of a town that kept treating her like a whore in church.  Really!? 

But, I keep coming back to the fact that I am emotionally invested!  That above all else is the mark of good writing, isn't it!?

I want to give it a 3 stars because the town was sooo mean, and a 5 stars because it's been a while and I can't get it out of my head.  So, I guess I will have to split the difference and give it a 4. 

Photobucket

No comments: