Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gluten Free Eating

My oldest daughter went vegetarian a couple of years ago (on a dare really) but found that when I cooked vegetarian for her, she felt sooo good.  She kept feeling kinda sick after meals, especially eating out.  For the past 2 years, being vegetarian had it's challenges, but the benefits began to go away.  She started feeling sick again after meals, especially at restaurants and school. 

During this time I started seeing a "chiropractor" and I air quote that, not because she isn't a chiropractor but because she is more.  She uses many non-invasive, not twisty/poppy/cracky techniques to help heal you with a complete Holistic approach.  She is wonderful and so committed to helping her patients live a whole, complete, healthy life.  She doesn't help only the structural challenges but the internal, dietetic, mental, spiritual anything you need.  So, when my daughters digestive issues came back, I took her to see Dr. Rachael and we found her to be gluten sensitive. 

That very day, my daughter had chicken for lunch.  Ahh! 

We get home and start reading labels in the pantry.  Baby steps right?!  Looking for wheat, flour, gluten the obvious gluten sources.  Oh, yea!  There was nothing left in there for her to eat.  I know there are some of you out there who are religious about gluten, or other dietary choices.  We are just trying to make whatever choices we can, and learning as we go.  So out with the flour tortilla and in with the corn.  Out with the Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal in with the Cinnamon Corn Chex.  Out with the wheat pasta, in with the gluten free rice pasta.  In with rice, vegetables, digestive enzymes, gluten flam. 

I find that baking is a challenge and as a cake decorator this really bugs me.  I must find good baking recipes.  It is my new goal.  I tried one recipe and it was pretty good. 

Gluten free living isn't impossible, but it is a challenge.  I also find that everytime I try something new, or de-glutenize an old family favorite I am overcome with a sense of victory!  Yay Me!  Like last night.  Fried Chicken!  Mmm.  The "flour" was a combination of brown rice flour and tapioca starch.  I pan fry, because I don't keep a deep fryer at home.  It fries golden color and tasted really good. 

More to Come!

Photobucket

No comments: