Thursday, January 3, 2013

Latkas and Creamy Chicken




Was in the mood to cook
had only a weird selection of things since I haven't made it to the market since Christmas. Had some potatoes and some chicken....so here's what I came up with.

Latkas with Creamy chicken sauce. 

For the Latkas, I shredded 4 potatoes, wrung them dry in a clean dish towel.  Lightly beat 2 eggs.  I added a few tablespoons of besan/gran flour (made from ground chickpeas since we are gluten free) then the eggs.  Mixed well.  Put some butter/vegetable oil in a skillet over medium/high heat.  Dropped the potato mixture into the skillet using a tablespoon.  Sprinkled with salt and pepper once in the skillet.  Flipped after a few minutes, and cooked in small batches. 

My chicken in cream sauce:
I had boneless skinless thighs, which I salted/peppered/garlic powdered then seared in a skillet in olive oil.  Once cooked thru, remove them and saute onion and thinly sliced/cubed squash.  Once done remove them and set aside with the chicken pieces.  In the skillet melt a couple tablespoons of butter and add a couple of table spoons of the besan flour making a paste.  Slowly add milk (about a cup and a half) until fully incorporated.  Slowly bring to a low boil, then add 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth.  Bring to a boil, then add back in the chicken and vegetables.  Let simmer until it thickens (about 15 minutes or so.) over medium high heat. 




I used squash because it was all I had, but it was good and the touch of sweet with the creamy sauce meant my youngest Carpoolprincess would eat it.  There was a lot of sauce and it was so warm and comforting, perfect for a cold January night.  We brought out the fine paper plates because no one wants to do any extra dishes. 


Photobucket

No comments: