Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dark Lover


by JR Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood~1)


Rated 4 stars


#11 Title read/reviewed in Winter Challenge



Back Cover:

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood. The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


My Thoughts:

I'll say, there were parts of this book that were dry. I understand the need for that since this is the first in the series and she is setting up her entire culture with all its lengends and myths and beliefs and laws. So, I'll give her some space to do that. Besides that, I found the Lesser POV to be almost a distraction from the story. I don't know, if they play a real role in future books, but honestly I think the lessers could have been almost the invisible enemy and the story would have been just as good, maybe even better. Am I supposed to bond with them, feel sympathy for them, hate them? I just could have done without them really, or rather without having to read from their pov. Anyway......


Wrath, I loved. I loved the interplay between all the fellas. I loved Butch. I loved the wise-a$$ remarks between all of them. I'm already more than a little in love with Z and Butch for sure. The others are close behind. I'm glad that Wrath steps up, and does the right thing over and over. (with Beth, Marissa, the Scribe Virgin...)


Beth, well what's not to love. First of all, she has an awesome name....(heh heh!) I liked that she was a "guys girl". I like that she is drawn to this type of guy before she even meets them (all the cops, ya know?!) She's not a patsy, she has a backbone and is not afraid to use it...I'm hoping she'll be a good influence on Marissa and hope that she and Wellsie become great friends.


I've had this book for a couple of months but for some reason hesitated to read it. I'm glad I did and am already looking forward to the next ones. I know that the rest of the series is supposed to be even better than this one, and that means they will be great, cuz this one is really good.

No comments: