Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Undead and Unwed


by Mary Janice Davidson


Queen Betsy Series Book 1


rated- 2.5-3 stars


Pages 255


Back Cover:

It's been a helluva week for Betsy Taylor. First, she loses her job. Then, to top things off, she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites (besides waking up in the morgue dressed in a pink suit and cheap shoes courtesy of her stepmother) is that she can't seem to stay dead. Every night she rises, with a horrible craving for blood. She's not taking too well to a liquid diet.

Worst of all, her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious, power hungry vampire in five centuries-a badly dressed Bela Lugosi wannabe, natch. Frankly, Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics, but they have a powerful weapon of persuasion: designer shoes. How can any self-respecting girl say no? But a collection of Ferragamos isn't the only temptation for Betsy. It's just a lot safer than the scrumptious Sinclair--a seductive bloodsucker whose sexy gaze seems as dangerous as a stake through the heart...


My Thought:

I'm conflicted!! PBS kept recommending to me Mary Janice Davidson books, so I thought what the heck! Ya only live once! I got Unwed and Undead, it's the first in the Queen Betsy series. I read about 2/3 way thru the book and was in love. This woman was funny and sarcastic! (love that!!)Then, the "hero" does something that was just too oogey!!

The Heroine watches him with 3 women doing the nasty, so he can "feed" being a vampire and all. Then when she's ooged out too, he's all "What's the big?"---And she's all, "why did you have to boink all 3 at once?"---and he's all "Why have a single dip when you can have a banana split?"--- And I'm all.."Eeeewwwwww!"

I kept reading cuz, I was really hoping that MJD would turn this situation around for me, but honestly they never addressed it again. Then the Hero/Heroine finally do the deed after he nearly dies for her, and when they are done there are some 40 people standing around watching. ---Double Eww!

So here is my dilemma! I really, really liked most of the book. I loved the quick wit of Betsy, Marc, Jessica, and even Tina! I love the banter, and sarcasm! Loved It!!!! Then, the Oogey part. It just put a cloud over the whole book for me. The scene itself was just....it felt....dirty. Not the good-wink wink-kinda dirty, but the I've been violated or seen someone else hurt dirty. It seemed to me that Eric was using and degrading these women. The whole scene felt very female degrading. And that Tina was watching. Eww! So, what do you do when you love most of the book but really hate something. I still feel kinda icky! So, I'm going to have to give this a 2.5-3. The parts I loved, I REALLY LOVED! However, the part I hated, I really hated.

No comments: