Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Irresistible


by Susan Mallery


Back Cover:
When ex-Marine Walker Buchanan stops to help Elissa Towers change a tire, he tells himself it's just the neighborly thing to do.


And when Elissa finds herself baking him a thank-you pie, she's just returning the favor... right?


Both of them have sworn off dating -- Elissa's determined to protect her little girl, and that means ditching her taste for dangerous men... especially former Marines with dark secrets. Walker knows that he's not cut out for hearth and home; his own crazy family made sure of that. But the sparks won't stop flying between them.


My Thoughts:

This was the story of Walker Buchanan the younger brother of Cal Buchanan from "Delicious". Walker is the loner of the Buchanan family. Immediately after graduating high school he joined the Marines. It is understood by all that he did so, to aggravate his evil Grandmonster Gloria. Upon retiring from the Corps, he is on a mission to find the loved one of a fallen brother. He rents an apartment in the same building as Mrs. Ford, the 90-something spitfire and Elissa Towers and her daughter Zoe.


Elissa is an independant single mom trying to do the best she can. She has sworn off men, so she can focus on raising her daughter. Besides, if her track record shows anything, it's a lack of good choices in the Dude Dept! However, her new neighbor sure is a sight to behold.


A flat tire starts a chain of events that neither of them knew would change their lives forever.


I have to say, that for some reason I love old folks as secondary characters. I especially like when they are spunky. My grandma was kinda spunky, so I think that's what I find so endearing. I also like when big burly Mancakes are forced to interact with little kids especially little girlie girls. There is just something about the finding of your inner opposite that apeals to me. So imaging my glee when Ex-marine bad Dewd, Walker gets more than his fair share of 90+ Mrs. Ford and 5 year old Zoe. Love it!!! He even babysat, and it would have been great for him to be caught, having a tea party or humming the Dora song or something. Like when my DH let my 11 year old paint his toenails the other day. Lime green toes with glitter. (he can pull that off.)


I did find their "secrets" a little annoying. They were too witholding for too long. I felt like, most people would have opened up a little sooner, or the whole relationship would have come around more slowly. I mean, she's ok with letting a single man, babysit her daughter but would tell him that the Daddy isn't in fact dead, just a money grubbing deadbeat. Call me crazy, but I would have told the built in security (as a marine isn't he a lean mean fighting machine?) about the possible threat, but not left my kid alone with a man. However, that kinda reality doesn't progress the plot very well, does it. That's why I'm a reader, not a writer.


Ms. Mallery has an endearing cast of characters. We see Dani's next step in her personal progression toward true love. She meets Ryan and starts a fun fling with him, only to find out ::::::spoiler alert------he's married. The jerk::::::::: We see Reid, meet and hire the Grandmonster's new nurse. She doesn't know who he is, and isn't all that impressed, if you must know. So, I'm guessing I know where this is going. Cal and Penny's baby is born. Won't spoil that for you.


All in all, I thought this was a good book. I am invested in the characters and their interrelationships. I give it a solid 4 stars.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Of all the books in this series, this one is my favorite, but then again I have a thing for men in uniform.