Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lover Avenged



by J R Ward. It is book 7 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series.


I read this for the Readers of Romance Summer Reading Challenge.


I give it 4.5 stars. J R Ward is Back!!!


Back Cover:

Caldwell, NY, has long been the battleground for the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It’s also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and notorious nightclub that caters to the rich and heavily armed. His shadowy reputation is exactly why he’s approached to kill Wrath, the Blind King, and leader of the Brotherhood. Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood, even though his sister is married to a member. Because he’s a sympath, his identity is a deadly secret- the revelation of which will result in his banishment to a colony for sociopaths. And as plots within and outside the Brotherhood take their toll against Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in a darkening world- Elhena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him- and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.


My Thoughts:

I liked Lover Enshrined ok. It got some really horrid reviews, so I had some very low expectations. I'd heard that J R Ward, was going more sci-fi/fantasy with the series and leaning away from the romance. (hence the hardcover etc.) So, I was a little wary. (the lack of real romance was my critique with Lover Enshrined) I was excited to read Lover Avenged, but cautiosly optomistic. I really wanted a book, in the vein (pun intended) of her earlier BDB books. I cracked the book, and started reading. Then what felt like minutes later, my family is making noise because dinner is hours late, and they are looking at me. I was obviously hooked. Rhev was such a great tortured hero. He was that scarred guy who felt for obvious reasons like he was unworthy. Ehlena was a great as the contientious heroine. She's the "giver". You know the type...nurse and caregiver. She always makes the right choices.


I loved how Rhev and Ehlena's story unfolds. I also love when Ehlena goes to Rhev's house the first time and ends up at the wrong door. She's at V's penthouse...You know the one! Uh, yea! Awkward!!! I thought that was great, so when she's with Rhev, he seems really normal after what she almost witnessed.


I was really upset with Wrath for lying to Beth. I mean, she's his shellan for crying out loud. He does come clean, and they start working it out. I love Wrath and Beth. I love that he keeps his hair long for her, and she gives him crap.


John Matthew and Xhex set up their relationship for their story. I didn't like JM's reaction and behaviour when he felt rejected by her. I know, Quinn is supposed to stay with JM, but really? It seems really unlikely that he'd go there. (that's all I'll say about that.)


I do, think I have a new love! There is a new fella at the mansion that I hope to see more of him. He's a blond, strawberry blond actually. He's the strong and silent type, with a heart of gold. It's.......George! He and Wrath will be working together.


When is the next book coming out? Time for new countdown clock....

No comments: