Sunday, September 28, 2008

Highlander in Her Bed by Allie MacKay




Tour guide Mara MacDougall stops at a London antique shop-and spots perhaps the handsomest bed ever. Then she bumps into the handsomest man ever. Soon Mara can't forget the irresistible-if haughty-Highlander. Not even when she learns that she's inherited a Scottish castle.


Spectral Sir Alexander Douglas has hated the Clan MacDougall since he was a medieval knight and they tricked him into a curse-the curse of forever haunting the bed (the very one that Mara now owns) that was once intended for his would-be bride. But Mara makes him feel what no other MacDougall has-a passion that he never knew he'd missed.


I'm a little conflicted about this book. Ms MacKay (Welfonder) does a decent job of telling a fun little story. It was a quick read, and had some fun moments. However, there were definately parts that I felt were lacking. The secondary characters could have been sooo much fun, and a really colorful backdrop, but they were pale. She mentions a 1 armed gardener, then nothing. The ghost hunting cook, could have really been superb, but stayed just ok. Even Hardwick, the ghost friend of Alex, could have been so much more fully developed (pun intended, you'll have to read to find the pun). The plot progression didn't make sense to me.


Mara, finds a bed in an antique shop, (along with the ghost who haunts it.) She also inherits the castle (said ghost) was to inherit upon wedding the then maid. Yadda yadda yadda! He starts to haunt her, to quickly fall in love with her. She finds him rude and scary and then...is in love.


I also have to say, that I found the chemistry between these two, too unrealistic to even make allowances for. I understand that many (ok maybe most) romance novels there is the suspension of reality for the sake of brevity. But this was.....too much. He sees her and is instantly "standing at attention". Really! He talks to her in his burr, (usually mean words) and his accent alone, has her...umm...almost finishing! (**wink wink**) REALLY! I mean, if that accent is ALL THAT, I need to get to scotland stat!! Crud, for a heroine, who's not sure she has had a "real" -O-, the wind on her breasts, (through her shirt) is almost enough to finish the job. Scotland, here I come! (get it? Here I ...aaaany way!)


Besides that, the story was ok. If you want quivering, standing at attention fun little reads, this is the book for you.


I rated it 3.5 stars.

It meets needs for my Read Around the Genres and Fall 08 Reading Challenges.

2 comments:

Cindy W said...

I would just like to formerly apologize for a book rec that I had not read. I don't know if I want to read it now!!!!

Carpoolqueen (formerly known as Beth) said...

Don't discount it because of me. I've been reviewing more harshly lately. Besides, even if I hated it (which I didn't) you might Love it. Let me know what you think.