Saturday, September 13, 2008

It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips


The Windy City isn't quite ready for Phoebe Somerville -- the outrageous, curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not prepared for the Stars' head coach Dan Celebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. Celebow is everything Phoebe abhors. And the sexy new boss is everything Dan despises -- a meddling bimbo who doesn't know a pigskin from a pitcher's mound.


So why is he drawn to the shameless sexpot like a heat-seeking missile? And why does the coach's good ol' boy charm leave cosmopolitan Phoebe feeling awkward, tongue-tied....and ready to fight? The sexy, heartwarming, and hilarious "prequel" to Susan Elizabeth Phillip's This Heart of Mine -- her sensational bestsellng blockbuster -- It Had To Be You is an enchanting story of two stubborn people who believe in playing for keeps.


I rather liked this book. I can't say I Loooooved it. I have incredibly high expectations for Ms. Phillips books and this one fell slightly flat for me. I liked the main characters. I liked alot the secondary characters. (Noone does a cast of warm and fun characters like her.) I expected to laugh out loud several times, but didn't. That's one of the things I love most about her books, but didn't this time. I chuckled here and there, and smiled alot, but no real belly laughs. That being said, I still really liked this story. I still think that I like "Lady Be Good" and "Breathing Room" better. I read this in one day, so obviously it wasn't a chore. It was a warm, fun, emotional read, filled with people I'd love to share a pizza with. (I also happen to love football)

I'm excited about Heaven, Tx. It shows great promise including two of my favorite things, football and small town Texas. I'm hoping for some cowgirl names. (Emma lu's or Bobbie Jo's)


I rate this book a 4. Seems like I never give 5's, but 4 seems right. I liked it alot and would definately recommend it.

2 comments:

Heather said...

This was an okay book for me also.

Cindy W said...

Heaven, TX has a Bobby Tom, you're in luck!