Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 4 of 25 Days of "What Christmas means to Me"

Day 4 of 25 Days of "What Christmas means to Me"
Christmas means Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. It was a Christmas staple and always highly anticipated.  I remember popcorn and Burl Ives.  Yukon Cornelius and his rag tag sled dogs including the toy poodle and what looks like a shi tzu.  The lovely Clarisse and Hermy.  It never occured to me to be offended at the sexist undertones and the more obvious prejudices. Mostly they were resolved in the end like all good moral tales are supposed to be.  It is singing along with the stop animation snowman as he sings the much loved song. It was also certain older brothers who may have been more likely to talk about how many points were on the buck (whether he had a red nose or not) especially when they were too old to be cool and watch it. I do remember my Dad dozing off in his chair while we kept up the tradition. It is all about traditions sometimes. Now I get to pass those onto my kids.


No comments: